Rescue Aid For Animals Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

forum running slow

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

forum running slow Empty forum running slow

Post by mole Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 am

Don't know whether anybody else is still having problems with the forum hanging ... and now the smilies take ages to load. This has been ongoing with me for about a week.

God it is a pain especially when you're trying to get a run sorted. Banghead1
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

forum running slow Empty Re: forum running slow

Post by Julie Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:28 am

I couldn't get RAFA to load this morning using the easysearch (which is my usual way). Tried a temp alternative search engine and all is okay now great1

Have you cleaned your cookies etc? Have you shut the computer/lap top down and restarted?
Julie
Julie
Admin

http://www.rescueaidforanimals.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:40 am

PC always shut down overnight yes1

No haven't cleared cookies as needs Spooks to tell me how to do it just for RAFA as I don't want to loose my cookies as it takes ages to refind sites I use all the time.

mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 am

I'm not having any problems on other forums ... just RAFA .... will take a look at the bloomin' cookies ... Banghead1
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooks Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:21 am

mole wrote:PC always shut down overnight yes1

No haven't cleared cookies as needs Spooks to tell me how to do it just for RAFA as I don't want to loose my cookies as it takes ages to refind sites I use all the time.

To clear all cookies doesn't lose sites, only the passwords you use for them, but it means that they all have to be re-entered, so make sure you know the password. A right PITA if you use different passwords, I have 6 that I use and it's always the last one that I try which is the right one... grrrr
To clear all cookies - Go to Tools > Internet Options > General > Delete Browsing History which will remove temp internet files, history, cookies, saved passwords & web form information. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW YOUR PASSWORDS AND CAN BE ÁRSED TO RE-ENTER THEM

To make your PC/Laptop run faster there's a few things you can do though

1. Disk clean-up
Go to start button > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean-up and click on clean up C drive (I tick everything)

2. Defrag
Go to start button > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defragmentation

3. Run an anti-spyware program such as Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster, SUPERAntiSpyware etc etc ( I run both Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes as both seem to find different things)

4. Run an antivirus program, AVAST, AVG etc etc

5 Unplug Router
Wait one minute and plug back it (I was advised to do this by my ISP as it will add you to another BT line which will be clearer allegedly, it does work though)

I do all the above except the defrag at least once a week, I have defrag set automatically.

Instructions might be slightly different for whatever OS you use.
Spooks
Spooks
Rescue Representative

http://moorlandsrescue.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooks Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:32 am

One more thing that I found that does slow my laptop down is if I let the Nokia PC Suite process run on Startup, I have removed it from my list of Startup programs and if I need it, I just click on the program but have to remove it again from Startup when I have finished with it.

To remove it from Startup, click start button, click Run and type in msconfig, that will bring up System Information for Startup, make sure selective startup is ticked, then go to Startup tab and untick PC Suite and save.

This procedure can be done for any process you don't want to run on startup, I let everything run bar PC Suite.
Spooks
Spooks
Rescue Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 am

OK I've got rid of the cookies now except the ones I need to keep for the passwords. I have done the msconfig thing but there isn't anything on there that I don't need ..... I think I got rid of a lot of this a while back.

I do defrag, disc clean up, my router is unplugged every night, I have enough RAM, I have Avira Premium (not free but cheap) antivirus so no crap Norton to slow my PC down.

However I do run on Chrome browser and I'm wondering whether it's this? I do like Chrome .... does anybody else use Chrome who is having slow load ups?

But ... have to say .... that it's only RAFA where the forum is really hanging all the time and sometimes the smilies and photos take ages to load.

I do not have problems with other websites.

Banghead1
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:28 am

mole wrote: does anybody else use Chrome who is having slow load ups?

But ... have to say .... that it's only RAFA where the forum is really hanging all the time and sometimes the smilies and photos take ages to load.

I also use Google Chrome Kathy, the smilies do sometimes take a while to load up and sometimes not.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sal Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:03 pm

I also use Chrome, but haven't had any problems with it so far f crossed1
Sal
Sal

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:49 am

Have now changed from Chrome to Firefox ... it's a lot faster ... although RAFA still hangs a bit but hardly noticeable. There are loads of threads saying Chrome has a problem with hanging.

Am going to delete it completely from my PC in case it's doing anything in the background that it shouldn't.

mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:44 pm

This forum is still a right pain dancy2 It takes me ages to do anything on it as the pages hang all the time and this is in Firefox. This does not happen anywhere else.

I am really seriously pi**ed off with it and am so frustrated that I just don't want to come on to be honest as I just haven't time for it.

If it isn't happening on other websites or forums then as far as I'm concerned it is forumotion that is the problem.

We know that it takes exception to certain people on here ... Cherry being a prime example. It's obviously started on me now Voodoo1

I have not had this problem in the past and it's only started about a week ago and I haven't changed anything.
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:26 pm

Have posted the problem onto forumotion support. Lets hope we get a reply....

http://help.forumotion.com/t91404-forum-running-loading-slowly#589048
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:33 pm

thankyou1
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Refer to link Kathy, there is a reply great1
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Mmmmmmm ... have done all what he suggests and if its not happening on other forums then why would it be my computer?

I have to say it seems worse at certain times more than others ... but even when its better it's not like it used to be ... which was instant.

Crying1
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Don't know what else to suggest Kathy Crying or Very sad

If anyone has any ideas, please do respond to the thread.
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 am

Have noticed that the graphics do not load at all sometime. When I click on the smilies to begin with for a few seconds I see words instead of smilies. Then this rectifies.

I think it's probably something to do with slow loading of graphics on the site.

I was up last night till 12.30 googleing stuff to see if I could find anything about it .... no chance .... it happens to lots of people on specific sites but no bu**er seems to know what to do about it.

Banghead1

My next try out is to get a new mouse as the page jumps up and down as well on every website.
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by MFH Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 am

Have you got anyone who could bring another PC/laptop round to yours to see how that behaves? Just a thought dunno1

I am on a new (er) laptop at the moment and it's sooooooooooo nice to not have to wait literally a minute for a single page to load - it was an old one though but I regularly wanted to throw it through the window. It's really weird getting used to a new one, like when you swap mobiles which I resist until the last possible minute. Do you have a laptop or a PC at the moment Kathy?

MFH

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 pm

PC .... but I haven't had a problem till about a week ago and a upgraded my RAM so it can't be that.

Am wondering whether my mouse is faulty and that might not be making a correct connection? I don't know but have sent for another mouse.
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by MFH Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 pm

I am not a techie person but if you could get someone else round to yours just to humour me Smile I may be able to help then, not promising anything but worth a try to save your sanity lol!

MFH

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooks Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm

Can I make a suggestion to Julie?

Can you turn off the scrolling marquee > **Rescue Aid For Animals is in URGENT need to recruit more volunteers in all areas etc etc for a day so Kathy can see if it is better without that.

I think I moaned about this when Julie first did it. Scrolling marquee text and chat boxes and even animated smilies can make a forum hang.

@Kathy, can you try putting back the old memory card/s you had before you upgraded and see what it's like? It will be nothing to do with your mouse. Also have you tried IE8 to see what it's like using that?
Spooks
Spooks
Rescue Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooks Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Well I never... how's that for a memory? I have even shocked myself!! LOL

https://rescueaidforanimals.forumotion.com/t3811-forum-index
Spooks
Spooks
Rescue Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:42 pm

Spooks wrote:Can I make a suggestion to Julie?

Can you turn off the scrolling marquee > **Rescue Aid For Animals is in URGENT need to recruit more volunteers in all areas etc etc for a day so Kathy can see if it is better without that.

I think I moaned about this when Julie first did it. Scrolling marquee text and chat boxes and even animated smilies can make a forum hang.

Have deactivated the scrolling marquee for the time being great1
Julie
Julie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spooks Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 pm

thankyou1

Blimey... I can see it's quicker already for me on my slow connection. Perhaps it's to do with what internet speed users have.
Spooks
Spooks
Rescue Representative

Back to top Go down

Post by mole Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:02 pm

Spooks wrote:@Kathy, can you try putting back the old memory card/s you had before you upgraded and see what it's like? It will be nothing to do with your mouse. Also have you tried IE8 to see what it's like using that?

I haven't got them dancy2 but the reason I got the new RAM was cos it was slow .... it has been fine until a week or so ago ... really fast instant connection. I have only got IE7 ... how do you get IE8?

At the moment I'm on Firefox which I like but am not sure it isn't that which is making it hang. Anybody else use Firefox? However it was happening on Chrome as well.
mole
mole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next